With our increasingly sedentary lifestyle leading to a host of diseases such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes, heart attack & more, regular exercise is a must. While some of us are lucky enough to live in areas where one can go walking, jogging or running outside, rest of us just cannot avail the luxury of exercising close to nature. However, you must not worry as you can choose from the stationary exercise bikes, the recumbent bikes and the dual action bikes that will help you not just to lose that extra flab but those which will also boost your cardiovascular strength. Great way to look fab!
The exercise bike is a great way to shed those extra calories in the comfort of your home.
- These are easy to use
- Don’t hurt your knees as some other exercise equipments do
- Provide a good cardiovascular workout
- Are low impact training equipment
- Can be used at home or gym
It can be used by anyone:
- An exercise bike can be used by anyone- from an exercise beginner to a fitness enthusiast to a patient recovering from illness or even senior citizens.
- There are a wide variety of models to choose from with stylish looks. There are two types of exercise bikes- one resembles a traditional bicycle with no back support, while other has back support- also known as recumbent bike.
- Recumbent bikes are great for people suffering from back problems or lower limb injuries. They offer a more relaxed, consistent and sustainable form of workout.
- Exercise bikes now come with LCD console which display time, pulse, rpm, calories, heartbeat, distance etc.
- The resistance levels can be set manually or electronically, handle bars can be set to various positions as per your requirement. Some models also allow the seat to be adjusted horizontally or vertically & come with water bottle holder or book reader stand.
To ensure that you buy the right model, it is advisable that you try it out at least once in the store itself & make sure that the seat, handle bars & pedals can be adjusted to the most comfortable position for you.
Here are a few things to consider before buying an exercise bike:
- As stated earlier, it is always better to get the exercise bike tested at the store to check that pedals fit your feet properly & handlebars are perfectly positioned.
- Electronic resistance control is desirable so that it can be set to your desired level, variety in resistance levels is also important.
- Recumbent bikes are great for lower body workout and they must be purchased if they display the heart rate monitoring and the calorie loss meters.
- The programs should be such that they incorporate your gender, weight & heart rate in their workouts.
- Top end models can also complement your ipad or iPhone fitness apps. These apps can interact directly with your exercise bike.
- Space may also be a constraint, some manual models take up considerably lesser space that electronically programmable ones.
- Warranty is the deal clincher. An exercise bike has moving parts which are subject to wear & tear, so choose a warranty that covers minor repairs & replacement of parts for an extended duration.
- Keep your budget in mind. Don’t overspend, but do consider buying from reputed brands only.
- Last but not the least see to it that your exercise bike has some safety features. The moving parts should be covered and the bike should be lockable when not in use so that it is not accidentally turned on by children.
Do not let bad weather dampen your exercise plans. Go ahead and invest in a good exercise bike.