As far as heart replacement surgery is concerned it boils down to replace the damaged valves of your heart with a mechanical one. This could be taken from human donors or animals. With the aid of the new valve, the strain will be reduced and symptoms in the form of chest pain or shortness of breath will be eradicated.
Who is recommended to be part of this surgery?
It is at a general level, a candidate for heart valve replacement surgery would include the following
- The severe amount of heart symptoms could be observed and this is leaking or narrowing down of the arteries
- Though the symptoms of heart condition are not that severe, on further evaluation regurgitation or valve stenosis could emerge
- The heart valve is damaged due to infection
The types of valves
- Mechanical values- these types of valves outlast the patient. Though these forms of valves tend to be long-lasting and generally a single type of surgery might only be required. With mechanical valves, the chances of formation of blood clots do increase.
- Tissue valves- these are incorporated from animals and this is undertaken to eradicate any chances of rejection or further type of classification. In fact, you can opt for an alternative with this form of an alternative referred to as homograft. It is donated and normally harvested after a patient is no more. There is another type of procedure referred to as the Ross procedure. Here the aortic value is removed and then being replaced by the pulmonary valve of the patient. This procedure first emerged in the year 1967 and still children go on to use it.
- The physician may ask you to be part of a routine physical examination before you opt for the surgery. Numerous types of diagnostic and blood tests are recommended
- Normally the patient is asked to fast for close to 10 hours before the procedure and this is before midnight
- Do inform your surgeon if you are sensitive to any form of medications
- If you have a pacemaker do inform your surgeon
- If you smoke do quit it as soon as it has been told that you need to be part of a surgery. This reduces the recovery time associated with the surgery and improves your overall quality of life as well.
As a patient, you will be in ICU after 2 to 3days of the surgery and at this point of time, the heart functions will be monitored closely. The recovery period can stretch from several weeks to months and this tends to vary from an individual to another
A lot of medical tourism companies have emerged in India. No wonders to the fact that it is the official medical centre of the world. Heart value surgery in India results in the savings of close to 50 % when you plan to get it in this part of the world. This is not compromising on the quality of healthcare as well.