There are many couples who have been trying to have a baby and have been unsuccessful. They may have undergone tests to see if there are any physical reasons why the woman is not getting pregnant. Armed with the results of these tests, many couples head for a fertility clinic to try to improve their odds of having a baby through a variety of options. If you are one of these couples, you need to research the procedures that are available, which ones are the most successful, and what is the cost for these procedures. Here is an overview of some of the services that you might find at a fertility clinic .
- In vitro fertilization or IVF is probably the most common procedure and one that most infertile couples begin with in their attempt to have a baby. The procedure consists of taking the egg from the woman, fertilizing the egg while it is outside of the woman’s body and then putting the fertilized egg back inside of the woman. It has enjoyed an increasing rate of success.
- If a woman had her tubes tied so that she wouldn’t get pregnant, many clinics can perform a reversal of the tubal ligation. The operation takes a few hours and is minimally invasive. Depending on the age of the woman when the procedure is performed the success rate is up to 80%.
- Women who would like to start a family later on in life can find a clinic that will freeze their eggs. The clinic will freeze and store the eggs so they will be available when the woman is ready.
- Surrogacy procedures are also performed in two different ways. The first is called traditional surrogacy and it is where the surrogate’s eggs are joined with the father’s sperm to become fertilized. In this situation the surrogate is providing the eggs so she will be related to the child as the biological mother. This type of surrogacy has to be overseen by a lawyer. The other form of surrogacy is where the woman’s eggs and her husband’s sperm become fertilize and then implanted into the uterus of the surrogate. In this case the surrogate just serves as the vehicle in which the embryo will grow and she will eventually deliver the couple’s baby.
- In addition to actual procedures, fertility clinics perform tests and provide support to couples who are concerned about starting a family. The right clinic will work with you in presenting you the options that are best for you. Make sure you are teamed up with a doctor who has the patience to answer all of your questions and direct you towards the procedures that will give you the best rate of success.
Make sure that you do a thorough check of the fertility clinics in your area. Most of these procedures can be very expensive and some of them may even need to be repeated if they are not successful after the first attempt.